The MetroHealth System is an essential health system committed to providing health care to everyone in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, and improving the health of the community overall. Its 7,500 employees deliver care to everyone at its main campus, just west of downtown Cleveland, and at more than 25 other MetroHealth locations. It also provides health care at more than 40 additional sites in Cuyahoga County through community partnerships such as the School Health Program.
Executes day-to-day media relations functions for The MetroHealth System (MHS), including planning, implementing, and evaluating assigned media-related activities. Finds, analyzes, and pitches stories for external and internal audiences for a variety of platforms. Conducts media trainings for MHS staff. Contributes to the development of MHS’s media relations strategy to ensure that it supports the System’s strategic, marketing, and public relations goals. Upholds the mission, vision, values, and customer service standards of The MetroHealth System.
1. Executes day-to-day media relations functions by:
a. Planning, implementing, and evaluating assigned media-relations activities.
b. Ensuring all media requests are assessed, answered, and fulfilled in a timely manner.
c. Overseeing the distribution of MHS’s Community Newsletter; contributing content for MHS’s online newsroom daily; writing and publishing the morning media round-up email. d. Writing and distributing press releases; coordinating media interviews and press conferences and media events.
e. Following Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines regarding release of information at all times.
f. Serving as a liaison between patients, physicians, and the media; ensuring that protecting patient safety and privacy is a top priority.
g. Building and maintaining relationships with members of the media; serving as a liaison and main point of contact for various media vendors; taking appropriate actions to solve issues for media representative in a timely and efficient manner.
a. Working with patients and physicians to develop story leads.
b. Working with internal and external communications teams and the Marketing staff on the best placement options.
c. Repurposing existing content as appropriate.
4. Contributes to the development of MHS’s media relations strategy to ensure that it supports the System’s strategic, marketing, and public relations goals.
5. Serves as a member of the Crisis Communications team; handles “off-hours” calls per the schedule and responds to media inquiries and urgent situations as necessary.
6. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in continuing education courses, professional organizations, seminars/workshops, reading current literature, and/or maintaining professional contacts in the community; monitors and assesses the appropriateness of emerging communications trends and strategies, and adopts techniques as deemed appropriate.
7. Incorporates principles of teamwork in the resolution, completion and follow-up of responsibilities.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Public Relations, Communications, or another related field.
In lieu of degree, any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in addition to the experience stated below.
3 years of experience in media relations or another related field.
Strong project management skills.
Proven track record of positive results for media relations projects.
Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Ability to display a positive and professional demeanor.
Experience in the health care industry.
May sit, stand, stoop, bend, and ambulate intermittently during the day.
May need to sit or stand for extended periods.
See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Finger dexterity to operate office equipment required.
May need to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds on occasion.
Ability to communicate in face-to-face, phone, email, and other communications.
Ability to see computer monitor and departmental documents.