- SUMMARY: Incumbents design, engineer, and direct an end product related to the assignment. Duties include research and development, writing, and media relations.
- Examples of Duties
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researches, develops, writes and coordinates a media campaign for one or more departments, including social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Develops public information programs for departments and Elected Officials
- Advises staff on media related issues; assists departments in communicating services to the public
- Prepares, reviews and edits releases, newsletters, publications and scripts
- Researches, writes, photographs and produces multi-media public information presentations
- Performs extensive research for special projects; collect information, analyze data and make recommendations; prepare comprehensive reports or manuals
- Assist in keeping city website and subsites up to date
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Typical Qualifications
- Various journalistic styles; current principles, techniques and objectives of public information and public relations programs; principles and practices of effective supervision
- City and departmental programs, policies and functions
- Professional applications of research and writing skills
- Basic principles of communication, marketing and public relations
- Social media platforms (Facebook, twitter, etc)
- Using a computer and related software applications
- Assist and edit in the design and layout of informational materials
- Provide public relations
- Prepare publications
- Write and edit copy
- Coordinate events
- Prepare press releases
- Monitor budgets
- Coordinate publicity campaigns
- Develop creative ideas in relation to public information projects
- Plan and organize projects and work tasks
- Read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations
- Write stories, reports, news releases, speeches and broadcast scripts
- Present information clearly and concisely to various audiences
- Compile reports from a wide variety of sources and transmit data
- Interpret federal, state and local policies; procedures and regulations
- Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
- Work in a collaborative, creative team-based work environment
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field and five (5) years Public information experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Must have at the time of hire and be able to maintain a valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Supplemental Information
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
- City of Cleveland Heights
40 Severance Circle
Cleveland Heights, Ohio, 44118